Monday, August 6, 2012

self-destruct in three, two, one...

{I wrote this a little while ago; unfortunately I have been much too sick these past couple of days to even desire food. However, I've been inspired by honesty - here and here - so I am posting. Also, extremely-random-thought-that-no-one-cares-about-but-me: You know how writers are supposed to have a niche? Perhaps mine should be mental health; my own mind could certainly provide me with stories until the end of time, and probably even after the end of time is over, too.}

recently, I had the urge to binge. As with anything in my life, I figured, you know, hey, I should write about this. And then I thought, well, no. I don't want anyone to think that I am the kind of person that would have an urge to binge. I don't want anyone to think that I am the fat person that would have an urge to binge. I don't want anyone to think that I am fat.

convoluted thinking, I call it. I mean, how messed up is that?

I make no qualms about having the urge to restrict, as I have plenty of times over the past five or so years (I mean, does an eating disorder ever really, completely go away? Does it?). Sure, it's not a good thing. Sure, I'd be ever-so-slightly embarrassed about it. Debbie, restricting, again? Shameful. Get over yourself. It's been way too long now.

but secretly, I'd feel the teeniest bit gleeful; superior, even. Restricting? Hey, at least I have the urge, the willpower, to do what skinny people do. I am in control. I got this.

binging? Not so much. Binging is what fat people do, what people with no self-control do, what people with no willpower do. Gross. Do I really want others to know that I am one of them?

isn't it enough that I know?

{allow me to just briefly mention that I never think any less of anyone that struggles with binging. Ever. But when it comes to myself? I absolutely butcher myself in my head}

truthfully, though? Bullshit. Really. Restricting and binging? These equally destructive behaviors have absolutely nothing to do with willpower and self-control, with fat and skinny -- at least for me they do not (and I suspect it is the same for many, many others). 

I am sad? Food (or lack thereof). 
I am angry? Food (or lack thereof). 
I am anxious? Food (or lack thereof).
I am lonely? Food (or lack thereof).

so if I have the urge to restrict, or to binge, or to do anything else that could be construed as even remotely self-destructive, I should be concerned, yes. And I should take action, yes. But ashamed? Embarrassed? No. Sorry, but no.

and you know what? The same goes to you.

9 comments:

  1. Every time I have to tell someone what prescriptions I'm on, I get so hot in the face. "Birth control and uh, Zoloft." I'm so embarrassed, and I shouldn't feel that way, but it's just so embarrassing because I don't know if that person is going to judge me about it. Some do, some don't. I have to work on not judging it first. If I don't care, that will be my first major accomplishment. And so I'm still working on it.

    Thanks for the link back friend. I'm glad I was a source of comfort that you could post it, because it's *great*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was this way too. Luckily last year I befriended two girls that were on the same/similar meds and then I felt more okay about it ;)

      Delete
  2. You know what? Thank you for writing this. These are the exact same thoughts and sentiments I've been struggling with over the last few months. Heck, year. It's time to stop, really stop, and realize that beating yourself up for thoughts and urges like that do nothing. It's one thing to recognize them...I guess the best response would be to STOP DROP AND ROLL. Realize it, know that you can deal with them appropriately, and move on. (Though, obviously, easier said than done.) I'm just very, very tired of self-sabotage. Take care, Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for thanking me :) I'm so tired of self-sabotage myself.

      Delete
  3. this was really hard to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wanted to thanks for leaving such a nice comment! It's a rare thing to find a blogger who is actually a writer lol as weird as that sounds. So I share your sentiment for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog via Nat the Fat Rat and nothing makes me more excited than when I click through and land on another writer's blog. I mean, fashion blogs are fabulous and I love pretty pictures; but nothing gets me like words. And yours are oh-so-good.

    I've never claimed or been diagnosed with an eating disorder, but your urge to binge SO resonated with me. Once I start, I can't stop. I like the questions you ask yourself and should start using those myself!

    I'm going to subscribe as soon as I publish this comment! Can't wait to keep reading!

    Love,
    Sarah
    the Reverie blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, thank you so much! At this point a compliment on my writing means more than you could imagine.

      Delete
  6. Debbie,
    Thanks for writing this. Glad to know those thoughts still come to other people after recovery too, and that it's okay to have them. I'm just getting to that point myself.
    Love your long lost Syracuse friend Amanda :)

    ReplyDelete