Friday, August 3, 2012

a roundup {7/30-8/3}

I've been doing lots of reading around the internets lately. Mostly when I'm bored, but also because I want to read and absorb every great piece of writing that ever was, and even every not-so-great piece of writing that ever was, in hopes that it will make me a better writer.

because dammit, I will be a writer if it's the last thing I do.

and a (and I use this term loosely) successful one, at that.

anyway, here are a few articles, gems, and such that I've found helpful, useful, inspiring, have made me think, etc etc.

+ it's okay not to be okay via Thought Catalog. My new anthem.
+ what do gymnastics, orthodox Judaism and Feminism have in common? Me via deadspin. Far from an orthodox Jew here (far, far, veerrryyyyy far from it), but this was actually compelling. And inspiring.
+ one spoonful at a time via the New York Times Magazine. Old, and I'd read it before, but a professor at my school wrote it, so I suppose it has me wondering. I know for a fact that this method wouldn't have worked for me, considering the family I was born in and whatnot, but I can't help but think, hm, if it had been plausible, would I be better off today?
+ the everything guide to taxis via New York Magazine. Hilarious and intriguing and just like a train wreck that you cannot look away from, no matter how hard you try.

in other news! I've been a bit bummed out lately, as I've been having some trouble with my Crohn's again. I'm a little worried that I will relapse into what it was a few months ago - completely debilitating. Let's hope not! Luckily I have my boyfriend and his sister here with me to cheer me up.

anyway, tomorrow my boyfriend and I are taking a little quick trip to Myrtle Beach; I hope my stomach doesn't act up! I'm so excited though; I've never been. I can't wait to share tons of lovely photos and (hopefully) funny stories with you guys (all negative three of you that read my blog).

2 comments:

  1. I've just opened up all of these links and am pouring through them, thank you! I'm the same way with reading, I read because I love it but also to ensure that my writing stays sharp.

    I'm glad you have your support system there with you, and have a great time in Myrtle Beach, I can't wait to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey! i read your blog! negative three, therefore, is impossible. :)

    ReplyDelete