Saturday, July 14, 2012

karma, and why it's a real thing

how do I put this? The last several days have been a nightmare, what with the mouse infestation and whatnot. Long story short: Simba and I had no place to live. We stayed at the Comfort Inn for several nights, racking up the bill. And I felt bad, because poor Simba was so confused. Also, carpeted floors and potty training, they just don't mix.

Finding an apartment in New York City? Impossible. Finding an apartment, last minute, in New York City? Are you crazy? That just doesn't happen. Trust me. I would know. After hundreds of calls to landlords and real estate agents (this is not an exaggeration), I was anxious, defeated, and tired out of my mind. Also, I needed somewhere to live by next week, because, you know, I have work and all.

On Friday, I had to check out of the hotel room by 11:00, no exceptions. So there I am like an idiot, carrying Simba with one arm, schlepping my shit around New York City with the other, and on the verge of a breakdown. I also had to pee real bad, but, you know, couldn't really take Simba into a public restroom with me. Which sucked.

Somehow we made our way to Columbus Circle, where this college kid stopped me. He was working for one of those child sponsoring nonprofits. We talked, mostly about how cute Simba is, and then he asked me if I'd be willing to sponsor a kid for $25 a month in a third world country. So I'm like, I'm already having a shitty day, so why not? Might as well do something nice for someone. It'll make me feel better.

Now I am the proud sponsor of an Indian child. I chose India because it was the only country on the list that has elephants. I just really love elephants.

Lo and behold, not even three minutes later, I get a call from an agent. They found me an apartment! In the West Village (I've always wanted to live in the Village because that's where they lived on Friends, you know?)! Where I can have Simba! And it's nice and clean and there are no rodents roaming around!



{hello West Village}

I was supposed to go out with a friend that's living in Brooklyn last night, but Simba and I were so exhausted that we zonked out as soon as we got home. Ahh well.

So, that's where I am right now. I'm off to explore the neighborhood today, get some groceries, do some spinning, and maybe, if I find the energy to do so, rescue some of my stuff from my old apartment all the way on the Upper East Side. Ugh. Going there skeeves me out.

Anyway, that's not the point. The point is that if you don't believe in karma, I think you're an idiot.

p.s. also, sponsoring a child allowed me to cross off #1 on my "things to do this summer" list. Nonprofit Kid and I are now texting buds. He is even looking into getting a girl puppy just like Simba. I said okay, but only if he names her Nala. Duh.

No comments:

Post a Comment