Wednesday, January 2, 2013

monthly goals; january.

is it odd to have monthly goals in January? It just seems too similar to New Year's resolutions, but whatever. I like having monthly goals. I guess I'm a goal-oriented person.

this is how I did with my December goals:

{1} write fiction. I have a new novel forming itself in my head (actually, I have three, but this one seems almost imperative that I write now), and although I am not quite sure how I feel about juggling two novels at once, I think I'm going to give it a shot. -- yes, yes! I'm actually so proud of myself. I have 21 pages down of the initial draft for my new manuscript so far, and each day I get more and more excited about it. It's hard work, but still. Writing is what I want to do with my life.

{2} do something each day to relax. Even if it's a little thing, like read a book for pleasure, or indulge in a glass of red wine. -- I did pretty good! I'm not sure if I did something every single day (I mean, I wasn't keeping track), but yeah. I'd say I was successful. 

{3} get through the semester. Just get through it. -- obviously, I did. So glad.

{4} reach out to my friends when I am hurting more. I have so much trouble with this. -- ehh.

{5} stay active. Staying active makes me feel great, whether it be yoga, running, or skiing. -- yep! 

{6} advocate for peace. In little ways, maybe, but in any way that I can. -- in little ways, yes, I suppose.

and on to January: 

{1} write for my novel every day, even if it's just editing pieces here and there. I've been on a 1000-words-a-day roll lately, but I know that's not entirely realistic for, say, when I go back to school. 

{2} read! For pleasure. 

{3} worry less. 

{4} improve my running speed.

2 comments:

  1. I have the same novel-writing goal - much writerly (and general) love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all about goals, too... and making lists. I like your idea of 'monthly goals' - it seems more productive to me. One thing I like to add to my list of goals is the "how" - how will I achieve this goal? What steps do I need to take to make this happen? For me, pleasure reading has been non-existent. And I hate that. So, I'm trying to designate 20 minutes each evening to sit down with a book, uninterrupted (phone on vibrate/across the room). I've pleasure-read 50 pages since Monday! Woop!
    Sending love & support,
    Lex

    ReplyDelete