Thursday, January 24, 2013

books on books on books

three-and-a-half years ago, after I first started college, I kind of sort of maybe abandoned my love for reading...probably because I was so busy making new friends, settling into classes, having a social life, and meeting a new boyfriend to remember that such a thing exists as books of the non-textbook variety.  Which is a shame, because I've always been an avid reader (I mean, not always, always, but certainly since the third grade, when Ms. Currie introduced my class to the wonderful world of Harry Potter...now, James and the Giant Peach I wasn't such a huge fan of).

anyway, they say that the way to become is a better writer is by reading, which is so absolutely true, of course. So, this January, I made it a goal to read for pleasure, like I used to all the time.

so far I've read:

Room by Emma Donoghue
What Happens In London by Julia Quinn
The First Counsel by Brad Meltzer
One Day In The Life Of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn
Agent 6 by Tom Rob Smith
Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith

currently reading:

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

and next, I plan on reading:

The Secret Speech by Tom Rob Smith

{in case anyone is wondering, I am aware that I have been reading the Child 44 trilogy completely in the wrong order...the correct order is: Child 44, The Secret Speech, and Agent 6...but, I picked up Agent 6 at the airport, so that's where I started. In any case, it's a great series of books, especially if you're into thrillers, and especially if you're into all things Soviet Union, which I am. Child 44 is now probably one of my favorite novels}

the point of this post is not to say I am a nerd that reads a lot (or a nerd that reads fast, which I tend to do). But mostly, to say this: ever since I've made reading for pleasure a priority again, I've noticed that my life has improved in the following areas:

{1} I fill my mind with words rather than mindless television that really is just junk food for my brain, i.e. the Kardashians, the Bachelor, Teen Mom, etc.

{2} actually, the only show I really watch now is Pretty Little Liars, but that's okay because I like to fool myself into thinking that it makes me think, or something.

{3} I don't spend as much time being useless online.

{4} it's easier to fall asleep at night if I've been reading, than, say, if I've been on my laptop or watching television.

{5} I think maybe I am a little bit of a better writer, especially where fiction is concerned.

so! The moral of this story is: read! And also, what books should I read next? Danke!

1 comment:

  1. yay reading! for real, i've dropped the ball on this, too. but fuck yeah, reading improves writing liiiike...a million percent.

    ReplyDelete