Friday, August 10, 2012

olympic thoughts

this post was inevitable, of course. As much as I love the Olympics, I have always hated that post-Olympics lull when everything, sports-wise (okay, gymnastics-wise) is just kind of blah. Having to wait four years seems like an eternity, and it is frustrating to know that the build up since the last Olympic Games only resulted in two weeks of competition (I am indeed one of those gymnastics freaks that watches every single elite competition in every single country every single year...the more obscure -- say, a random competition in Lithuania -- the better). So much hype (four years of hype!) for two weeks!

{also, I have a broken foot and can hardly move anywhere, so writing is my only escape. Expect many posts from me soon...and yes, I realize nobody cares, but this is my blog, so nananana whatever}

my commentary, of course, will be centered around gymnastics. I understand that you may not all agree with my opinions, which might make me a little sad in the moment, but it is okay, because what would this world be without differing opinions? How boring.

+ the sportsmanship among gymnasts, especially among those competing for different teams. This being my first truly social media engaged Olympic experience, I was incredibly disappointed by the way that fans spoke of athletes from different countries. Sure, root for your team with all you've got, but nasty tweets and status updates only make you look like a xenophobe, which is...gross. If you only want to see Americans compete, watch a national championship. After all, isn't it the goal of the Olympic Games for athletes from different nations to put their differences aside and come together for the sake of sport?

the gymnasts, on the other hand, were spectacular. NBC may not have shown this, but they constantly hugged, supported, and comforted each other on the sidelines. After their losses, they all graciously congratulated the victors and blamed their loss only on their mistakes at press conferences -- yes, even "ice queen" Mustafina and "sore loser" Komova! (i.e. both had nothing but nice things to say about Gabby Douglas, thank you very much)


{source?}

{I really do hope that every-four-years fans realize NBC creates unnecessary drama for the ratings...exclusive, reliable gymnastics sources paint a completely different picture. Also, for the love of God, the Cold War is over.}

+ I do not follow men's gymnastics usually, but I caught Danell Leyva's coach and stepfather, Yin Alvarez on television (well, the NBC feed, really...) and immediately recognized him. He coached me for a few summers when I was younger! I even called my dad to tell him because I thought the whole situation was hilarious -- he's definitely quite a character and always has been. "Yin from Universal [Gymnastics]?" my dad said. "In Miami?"

we were both dying, laughing. It's so nice to see people from your past succeed!

+ Aly Raisman's appreciation for her coach, Mihai Brestyan, is so heartwarming. Her putting her team gold medal around his neck? Sweetest moment of the entire Games.

+ Gabby Douglas's mother bawling in the stands when her daughter won the all around title.

+ and speaking of Aly and Gabby, the "You ready?" "Ready!" they exchanged before the all around competition.

+ as sad as I was to see McKayla Maroney falter on vault, where she is undoubtedly the best in the world, it was nice to see Sandra Izbasa of Romania doing what the Romanians have done so well for decades: capitalize on others' mistakes and seize the opportunity. She couldn't believe she won. It's nice to see the Romanian program return to its former glory.

+ Aliya Mustafina's gold on the uneven bars. I don't care if you love her or hate her; seeing an athlete return from what should've been a career-ending injury to Olympic glory in the span of just a few months should serve as inspiration for all.

+ I love emotional victories. The American gymnasts winning the team final? So sweet. Holding hands? Even sweeter. 

+ I have to mention Beth Tweddle, finally winning an Olympic medal in her home country. I hope she is proud. That said, the entire uneven bars final was spectacular -- no major mistakes! I love it when stuff like a tiny step on the dismount makes all the difference between gold and silver -- just like the old days.

+ I am sad about all the injuries. These Olympics had so much potential, but they certainly didn't live up to the expectations, which is disappointing.

+ Jordyn Wieber is one classy lady. Her coach? Not so much. Like many, I feel embarrassed and uncomfortable by the way that he is representing the United States in the media. I also do not like that he seems to be belittling Jordyn's accomplishments.

+ I hate the way that Viktoria Komova is beating herself up when talking to the media ("I was not very lucky at these Olympics. I failed them 100 percent. I don't know if I will continue sports. I will go back home, take some time off and think through the situation. My parents say everything is okay, but I don't feel that" -- here). In a sense, it reminds me of myself. I hope someday she understands that two Olympic silvers are a huge accomplishment, and that she did not let anybody down. It is hard to live up to so much expectation. 

+ Tie breakers are stupid. So many gymnasts got screwed.

No comments:

Post a Comment