Tuesday, July 10, 2012

new york, i love you.

The first time I ever was in New York City was October of 2002 (well, technically, I may have visited the city once or twice when I was only months old, but that doesn’t count, of course). It had been a year since 9/11 and I remember feeling absolutely horrified at the thought of flying. Now I not only had to worry about the plane falling down from the sky, but also about explosions and terrorists.


Sweet.

At the time, I came to several conclusions about New York City. First, taxis drive around like maniacs (not an incorrect assumption, actually). Second, I thought, this is what you do in New York City: (1) visit Times Square (2) visit the Statue of Liberty (we couldn’t go inside then for security reasons, which only tripled my anxiety over the city’s safety, or lack thereof) (3) shop on 5th Ave. (and stand in line outside the Abercrombie & Fitch for hours on end, because obviously that was so worth it), (4) go to a Broadway show (5) ride a horse-drawn carriage in Central Park.
Dude, I was so wrong.
I do not – absolutely do not – claim to be an expert on New York. In fact, I’ve only lived here for months at a time, but there’s really no place I’d rather be. Every day, I keep discovering new little gems (some so much more well known than others) that just make me smile. The following is a list of my favorite places in Manhattan.*
*I have no clue why I'm writing this. It's not like anyone comes to my blog for hot tips (or for anything, really). 
A Casa Fox: I discovered A Casa Fox last summer, when I went on a quest to convince my boyfriend that Costa Rican cuisine is absolutely nothing like Mexican food (I lived in Costa Rica for a good chunk of my life). Located downtown, this restaurant is just hands down awesome. It’s a little crowded (but so cozy!) and usually packed (I wonder when they will invest in more waiters…), but the food (which is technically not Costa Rican, but rather, Nicaraguan – not that it matters, because the cuisine in both countries is practically the same) is seriously some of the best I’ve ever had in my life. Try their empanadas, and if you’re feeling a little frisky, their sangria. I swear it will change your life.
Fruit Serve: Once upon a time, I realized that I am severely lactose intolerant and/or that dairy triggers my Crohn’s disease in the most horrendous way, despite my state of perpetual denial (I really love cheese, okay?). Even though I can buy coconut milk ice cream at the grocery store and stay happy as a clam, you’ve got to admit that there’s nothing like actually going to a soft serve, ice cream, or frozen yogurt shop. Which sucks. But then I discovered Fruit Serve (admittedly on a day when I was not allowed any solid foods in preparation for a Crohn’s-related procedure), which doesn’t even taste as healthy as it is, and all my ice cream woes were instantly gone. I live for dark chocolate fruit serve with peanut butter sauce, strawberries, and banana. I mean, the staff there (both at the Upper East Side location and the Union Square location) practically knows me by name (and definitely by order). Oops?  
Baked by Melissa: If you frequent the city and you don’t know Baked by Melissa by now, you must live under a rock. I mean, baby cupcakes? Come on! Unfortunately, this new (or semi-new, whatever) no-dairy rule means I’ll have to settle (and I use the term “settle” loosely, because they are indeed delicious) for some Babycakes instead.
(I totally realize all I’ve talked about is food, which I suppose is fitting considering I think about food about 50 percent of the time. The other half of my time is spent worrying about the level in which I suck at life on that particular day. I wish I was kidding).
This is kind of embarrassing, so here are a few things I enjoy that are completely unrelated to eating:
The express 6 train: This is lame, yeah, but hear me out. Have you ever had to take the subway in New York City during rush hour in the summer? It’s probably the nastiest, smelliest, most crowded, and most uncomfortable thing you’ll ever do. For the longest time, I had no idea that I could take the express line home from work, just because I never thought to check the stops on the express train (I am so brilliant). And then one day I got on a local train but found out that due to construction (how long can you construct for, by the way? The MTA is always changing stops on me, and I do not appreciate it), it would only be making express stops. And one of the express stops was, coincidentally, practically right around the corner from my apartment. So the skies parted and there was suddenly sunshine and rainbows and unicorns and my life changed forever. Express, I love you.
Striking a conversation with street artists: We see them around New York all the time, but does anyone ever actually take the time to talk to them? Do it. Their lives are fascinating and their love for their work is both inspiring and incredibly infectious. I love it so much, which is why I would pee my pants if I actually got to do this for a living.*
*I did talk to one artist one time that refused to give me his name but said he would if he ever ran into me at night once I'm old enough to go to a bar. First of all, I am 21, and second of all, that was really fucking creepy.
Street fairs: There’s nothing like walking the streets of New York on a weekend and finding that you’ve landed right smack in the middle of a street fair. It’s so much fun, and there are so many colors, shapes, and little details to see and smell and eat (and if you’re anything like me – a compulsive shopper, that is – to buy). 
This shall conclude my mini list on my favorite things to do in the city. To make this productive (you know, rather than me just blabbering on and on), let's say I make a goal out of this? Like, add five new things to my list by the end of the summer? Yes? Okay!
p.s. how perfect is my life right now? I'm watching Keeping Up With the Kardashians (what? I have no shame in my game) and Simba is sleeping at my feet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment